Sunday, January 20, 2013

Week 3 Grocery Budget Challenge

So, week 3 is starting for the grocery budget challenge!

So far I am on track.  I have done the grocery shopping for the next week.  I went to one store, Winco.  I spent $58.84 and got a bunch of things, including Cheerios on sale for 1.98 a box and a coupon for $1 off three.  I got some things for our food drive at work.  I love having this stuff to be able to give.

So, total for month: 
Spent $477.09
Saved $64.39 or about 12%.

Thing is, I am carefully planning each and every grocery shop, and using coupons at every shop, but it doesn't seem like I am saving all that much money.  I'm pretty sure my 2012 average was more like 20% or even higher.  I do shop at Costco, and I do get milk delivered twice a month and I get one Bountiful Basket a month, but it just seems like I should be saving more.

However, on the really positive side, I think I am going to adjust my month goal from $600 to $550 because we are doing so well.  I credit that to using cash and my trusty calculator at each and every shop. 

My grocery budget includes cleaning items, dog and cat food, kitty litter, and dog treats.  I know we have a very generous budget, and it also includes things I buy for care packages for my college age daughter.  It does not include food we order in (tonight we had pizza), but we have a separate budget for that. 

Life is good.  I am pleased with the spending much less that has been happening.  Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment