Friday, December 28, 2012

Speaking of frugal....and easy....

I've heard this for ages, but hadn't really paid much attention to it, because the cans of chicken broth are SO cheap.  Right?

Nope.  This is even cheaper:

Take a roast chicken carcass after you've eaten your fill and gotten all the meat off for future meals
Put it in a big crock pot (I used my 6 qt one)
Fill the crock pot up with water
Throw in some veggies, just wash 'em, they don't have to be pretty (I used carrots, celery, and onion)
If you want, add some spices.  I threw in some dried rosemary and some garlic powder 
Turn to Low and cook for 6 to 8 hours (overnight is do-able too)
Turn off crock pot, toss chicken bones, and cool broth.
Pour broth through strainer into something large to catch it
Finish cooling
Package into quart sized Ziploc freezer bags
Label and toss into the freezer

I just did this today and packaged 4 qts of chicken broth plus a little extra (disclaimer:  I would've had about two cups more if I hadn't spilled one bag of broth).  So for very little work, I have homemade broth for 4 chicken based soups.  And it smells SOOOO wonderful.

Plus, I used to always just toss the leftover chicken bones (didn't want the dog to get to 'em) and this makes me feel much better about buying whole chickens.

I'm sure you can use any chicken bones.  I actually froze the chicken bones about a month ago as I didn't have time to experiment just then.  You can do the same with veggies, any leftover celery or carrots or anything else you want to use can go into a freezer bag until you're ready to make broth.

Can't wait to cook something with this bounty! 


No comments:

Post a Comment